Instagram, the popular photo-sharing app that you may have heard of, was founded on October 6th 2010 – 5 years ago today! Happy birthday Instagram! 🎂
To celebrate 5 years of selfies, photos of legs on holiday and salads, we wanted to take a look back at what makes the site so popular using this infographic by our friends at One Productions.
P.S. Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram (@socialmedialondon)!
[Tweet “Instagram has over 300 million monthly active users worldwide. #smlondon”]
- Users: Instagram has over 300 million monthly active users worldwide.
- Uploads: Users share 70 million photos daily.
- Likes: Instagram users give 2.5 billion likes daily.
- Country: Over 70% of Instagram users are outside the US.
- Gender: 29% of Instagram users are female, compared to 22% who are male (49% of users have not specified a gender on their profile).
[Tweet “Adding a location to your Instagram post leads to 79% higher engagement. #smlondon”]
- Age: 53% of Instagram users are between 18 and 29 years of age.
- Education: 24% of Instagram users are college graduates.
- Celebrity: The most followed person is Miss Taylor Swift, with 49.6 million followers (at time of writing).
- Popular: The most liked update was by Kendall Jenner, and received 2.5 million likes in 5 weeks.
- Engagement: Instagram delivers 58 times more brand engagement per follower than Facebook, and 120 times more engagement per follower than Twitter.
[Tweet “Over half of Instagram users are aged between 18 and 29. #smlondon”]
- Comments: Instagram posts by leading brands get 216 comments on average.
- Timeframe: 50% of comments are posted in the first 6 hours after posting.
- Caption: The average caption (including hashtags) is 138 characters long.
- Mentions: If you @ mention another use in the caption, your post will get 56% more engagement compared to those posts without a mention.
- Location: Adding a location to your Instagram update leads to 79% higher engagement.
[Tweet “50% of comments on Instagram are posted in the first 6 hours after posting. #smlondon”]
- 2010: The first photo was uploaded to Instagram (of a golden retriever), and the audience grew to 1 million users by December.
- 2011: Hashtags were introduced, the 150 millionth photo was uploaded in August and it had 10 million users by September.
- 2012: Throwback Thursday (#TBT) starting gaining popularity, Facebook acquired Instagram for $1 billion and it reached 80 million users by July.
- 2013: Video was introduced in June, and direct messaging was introduced in December.
- 2014: Hyperlapse, a stand alone app for creating stop motion videos was launched in August and 300 million users was reached in December.
- 2015: This year saw new emoji hashtags and different formats of upload.
What’s next for the app? We’ll have to wait and see…
READ MORE: How to Create the Perfect Instagram Post