Pippa was a recent guest on the #smlondon tweetchat – check out the rest of the guests, subjects and more here.
So ‘social media’ isn’t it all about optimisation, promotions, data analysis, strategy, ROI, algorithms, content curation, conversion rates, audience sentiment, CTR, metrics, followers, geo-location, tagging, filters, hashtags; influencers, scheduling, reach – organic and paid, trending topics, monitoring, marketing and management or user generated content…
Yes – it is, but there’s one fundamental aspect not in the list above which is the absolute crux of social media.
That aspect is the word ‘social’.
I’m not alone in my thinking. In my recent tweetchat, I asked:
— Social Media London (@SocialMediaLond) September 13, 2016
— Dom Graham (@GuitaristDom) September 13, 2016
Storytelling was mentioned a lot:
— Gertrude & Ivy (@GertrudeAndIvy) September 13, 2016
…and engagement was included in a number of answers (especially important when talking about social media):
— Altrincham HQ (@altrinchamhq) September 13, 2016
While it’s important to ‘get chatty’, it’s also important to listen too:
— Louise Upchurch (@Loulou_Uberkirk) September 13, 2016
…as we do have 2 ears:
— Daniel Cohen (@danielcohen82) September 13, 2016
…and it is a 2 way conversation:
— PositivelySocial (@PosSocial) September 13, 2016
My favourite tweet came from getting the balance right and reach your goal:
— Ben Hollom (@benhollom) September 13, 2016
My main takeaways from the tweetchat would be:
- Focus on your audience not yourself, take an interest in them and they’ll take an interest in you.
- Go behind the scenes, let people into your brand, the emotional ‘buy in’ will reap rewards.
- Be human, no one likes a robot. Scheduling will only work if you’re there to respond in a timely manner.
- Listening is just as, if not more important than being social.
Thank you to everyone who joined in my tweetchat!
Author: Pippa is a tea and cake loving social media consultant, specialising and passionate about working with SMEs to assist them in getting the most out of their social media. Follow her at @Social_Pip.
Latest posts by Guest Blogger (see all)
- 5 Innovative Ways to Use Facebook Groups #smlondon - April 3, 2017
- Want to Increase Social Media ROI? 10 Experts Share Their Tips #smlondon - March 27, 2017
- 7 Tips to Using YouTube for Marketing Purposes #smlondon - March 20, 2017