Instagram – it recently turned 5, and is getting more and more popular as time goes on. It’s introduced advertising options, upgraded its video and has a user base that all marketers want to make the most of.
MDG Advertising outlined 5 reasons why 2016 will be the year that Instagram becomes a forerunner for each marketer to use.
1) Huge, rapidly growing platform:
Instagram was the fastest-growing social network of 2015, with over 400 million active users, and a 4-time growth rate over the last 2 years. It’s estimated that it will have a growth rate of 15% in 2016, and 11% in 2017.
When compared to other Facebook numbers, you can see how it’s becoming a big player in the app field (900 million users on WhatsApp and 700 million on Messenger):
— Social Media London (@SocialMediaLond) November 4, 2015
Everyday, 2.5 billion likes are given, and 80 million photos are posted on the app. That’s a lot of salads. With over 75% of Instagram users from outside the US, there is a massive potential for an ever wide audience next year.
2) Young and passionate user base:
Instagram’s user base is famously young (53% of Instagram users are younger than 29), and it plays a large part in their life.
People will be checking Instagram multiple times throughout the day, and therefore you have multiple chances to be seen.
3) Highly engaged audience:
Instagram’s audience is extremely active, with most users visiting the platform, uploading content and interacting with posts in their feeds:
- 49% of Instagram users check the app daily, with 73% checking at least once a week.
- Compared to Facebook, there are 58 times more unpaid interactions per post.
- For top brand accounts, each post receives (on average) 4,820 hearts.
READ MORE: How to Create the Perfect Instagram Post
4) Effective offerings for advertisers:
Instagram has moved from being a creative marketing visual platform to a power advertising tool. These include in-feed advertisements, integrated action buttons into posts, carousel ads and targeting based on Facebook data.
In 2015, brands spent $600 million on Instagram, with a projected ad spend of $2 billion in 2017.
5) The future of mobile and social commerce:
Instagram is ready to make the most out of the biggest technology, social and content trends available to become a tool that no-one can avoid – this includes:
- Video: The highly visual feed is perfect for showcasing video posts.
- Mobile: 100% of traffic on Instagram is already from mobile devices.
- Curation: The revamped ‘Explore’ feature makes finding content easier.
- Messaging: The Instagram Direct service could challenge Snapchat, WhatsApp and WeChat.
READ MORE: The Science of Brand Marketing on Instagram
(P.S. Make sure you follow #smlondon on Instagram – @socialmedialondon)
[Main image: Shutterstock]
Latest posts by Laurence Hebberd (see all)
- Size Matters: How Long Should Your Online Posts Be? #smlondon - June 8, 2016
- How to Use Social Media for Lead Generation #smlondon - June 2, 2016
- The 12 Rules of Content Creation #smlondon - May 18, 2016